from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. Close to a shore.
- adv. Toward or coming toward a shore.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Close to (especially in sight of) a shore
- adj. Blowing from the sea to the land
- adv. Near the shore
- adv. Towards the shore
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Being near or moving towards the shore
- n. near the shore.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Near the shore; toward the shore; on the shore side: as, the ship lay, or was moving, inshore.
- Situated near the shore; relatively near to the shore; specifically, as applied to fishing or fisheries, situated within about five miles of the shore: opposed to offshore: as, inshore fishing.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of winds) coming from the sea toward the land
- adj. close to a shore
- adv. toward the shore
Sorry, no etymologies found.
As a strong current runs close inshore which is constantly changing its course, and there were no lights or landmarks to guide us, it was a matter of great difficulty to find the very narrow entrance to the river.
Thanks muchly - my dad was in the Merchant Navy & my brother sails a 30 footer inshore Lunenburg, Nova Scotia but I didn't get the bug - tho' here its close at hand on all sides.
The house was in the Atlantic boreal region where the salinity of the open sea was around 35 percent, but inshore a little less from freshwater streams and rivers.
The SNP retorted by demanding far higher borrowing rights, full control of taxes (including corporation tax), devolution of the Crown Estate (inshore seabed) and broadcasting.
If you're a surfcaster or inshore-saltwater angler, this is a very big deal for a fairly reasonable price.
I use them bouncing crawfish and chubs for smallmouth in medium to fast water, as well as drifting shrimp around for inshore fishing for specks, mackerel, and pompano.
Chad Love: Florida Python Cast & Blast have you guys ever used neck knives for outdoors they look good for inshore saltwater fishing or kayak fishing.
They also fish inshore by set net for varieties of other species.
"The crude terminals are well protected…my guess is it's the inshore products vessels that are susceptible," said one trader.
The inshore waters and coastal stations will then be tackled by a Radio 4 announcer.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.