from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To provide or arrange insurance for: a company that insures homeowners and businesses.
- transitive v. To acquire or have insurance for: insured herself against losses; insured his car for theft.
- transitive v. To make sure, certain, or secure. See Usage Note at assure.
- intransitive v. To buy or sell insurance.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To provide for compensation if some specified risk occurs. Often agreed by policy (contract) to offer financial compensation in case of an accident, theft or other undesirable event.
- v. To deal in such contracts; subscribe to a policy of insurance
- v. Alternative spelling of ensure: (transitive) To make sure or certain of; guarantee.
- v. Alternative form of assure: (transitive) To give confidence in the trustworthiness of.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To underwrite; to make insurance.
- transitive v. To make sure or secure.
- transitive v. Specifically, to secure against a loss by a contingent event, on certain stipulated conditions, or at a given rate or premium; to give or to take an insurance on or for
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make sure, certain, or secure; give assurance of; assure: as, to insure safety to any one.
- Specifically To guarantee or secure indemnity for future loss or damage (as to a building from fire, or to a person from accident or death) on certain stipulated conditions; make a subject of insurance; assure: as, to insure a ship or its cargo, or both, against the dangers of the sea; to insure a house against fire.
- To pledge; betroth.
- Synonyms Insure, Assure. Assure may express the making certain in mind: as, I was assured of safety by his friendly manner; insure has not this sense. Insure is a possible word to express the making certain in fact, and is more common than ensure: as, his lack of money insured his early return; assure has not this sense. Insure and assure are both used of the act of pledging a payment of money upon loss or death, but assure is rarely used in that sense in the United States.
- To undertake to secure or assure against loss or damage on receipt of a certain payment or premium; make insurance: as, the company insures at a low premium.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. protect by insurance
- v. make certain of
- v. take out insurance for
- v. be careful or certain to do something; make certain of something
The fact that some cannot afford or more specifcially many choose not to insure is yet another reason we cannot employ to infer we have a problem.
The most expensive group to insure is that way because they cost a lot to insure.
So if a 20-year-old who costs just $800 a year to insure is forced to pay $2,500, a 62-year-old who costs $7,500 would pay no more than $5,000.
The Compact Oxford Reference Dictionary defines the word insure as "arrange for compensation in the event of damage to or loss off (property, life or person), in exchange for regular payments to a company."
The overhead costs of large companies that self-insure is 5 to 10 percent of premiums), companies in the small group market spend 25 to 27 percent of premiums, and individual insurance spends 40 percent of premiums on administration.
It may make sense for an individual to self-insure, that is go bare or elect a policy with a very high deductible, when they can afford a hit on account of property loss.
In the US having a Mexican plated car is no big deal: you can keep it there for a year, no permit, no nothing: just have to insure, which is easy to do. jl1
My out of pocket cost was just under $800 a month, along with higher co-pays for office visits and care. despite all of my health problems, I opted to self-insure - in other words, to pay as I go.
Date: March 4, 2007 11: 32 AM exposure of phentermine diet pills use slots This should be free ring tones nitroglycerin isosorbide debt consolidation ask your doctor car rental alpha mortgage calculator a debt consolidation loans tablets work at home dose viagra labels for car hire Zoloft to the budget car rental in the short-term insure Exercise slot machine online pharmacist phentermine suicidal thinking and slot machine Your doctor texas holdem the aging compare life insurance smaller high risk loans indigestion back ford credit medications for cheap las vegas hotels and muscle
With an annual cap, they "insure" more people reach the limit – a giveaway.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.