from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To feel or express strong disapproval of; condemn: "Somehow we had to master events, not simply deplore them” ( Henry A. Kissinger).
- transitive v. To express sorrow or grief over.
- transitive v. To regret; bemoan.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To bewail; to weep bitterly over; to feel sorrow for.
- v. To condemn; to express strong disapproval of.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To lament.
- transitive v. To feel or to express deep and poignant grief for; to bewail; to lament; to mourn; to sorrow over.
- transitive v. To complain of.
- transitive v. To regard as hopeless; to give up.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To lament; bewail; mourn; feel or express deep and poignant grief for or in regard to.
- To despair of; regard or give up as desperate.
- To tell of sympathetically.
- Synonyms To bemoan, grieve for, sorrow over.
- To utter lamentations; lament; moan.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. express strong disapproval of
- v. regret strongly
What I deplore is the fact that we are now - what we now - almost everything written or spoken in English and Spanish.
Personally, the thing I most deplore is the fondness for tobacco, but there doesn't seem much point in trying to argue that away, either: this was a man who rebelled, who thought for himself, and who liked to shock.
To deplore is to (1) feel or express grief for; (2) regret strongly; (3) consider unfortunate or desreving of deprecation.
I’ve only been here since early 2008, but it appears to me that at least half, and probably more, of the language which you deplore comes from the anti-Kos and anti-FDL type people who are in the libertarian and/or conservative ad/or Republican camp.
The media/Republican evangelical extremist leaders never kill anyone themselves of course, and they always "deplore" the violence.
In their statement Tuesday, U.S. bishops said they "deplore" the incursions and "call for them to end."
Norfolk blogger , why would you "deplore" a member of the BNP?
I don't think Bill Joy is particularly hypocrytical, and he certainly doesn't "deplore" progresss.
G-8 leaders also said they "deplore" the March 26 attack on the South
At a chapel meeting yesterday, where journalists voted to reballot for industrial action over proposals by Trinity Mirror to cut 200 editorial jobs across the Mirror Group Newspapers titles, BAJ also passed a motion to "deplore" MGN's failure to implement the pay award.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.