American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Worthy of severe condemnation or reproach: a deplorable act of violence.
- adj. Lamentable; woeful: My finances were in a deplorable state of neglect.
- adj. Wretched; bad: deplorable housing conditions in the inner city.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- That may or must be deplored or lamented; lamentable; that demands or causes lamentation; hence, sad; calamitous; grievous; miserable; wretched: as, a deplorable calamity.
- Pitiable; contemptible: as, deplorable nonsense; deplorable stupidity. Synonyms Distressing, dismal, mournful, melancholy, regrettable.
- adj. Deserving strong condemnation; shockingly bad.
- adj. To be felt sorrow for; worthy of compassion.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Worthy of being deplored or lamented; lamentable; causing grief; hence, sad; calamitous; grievous; wretched.
- adj. of very poor quality or condition
- adj. bringing or deserving severe rebuke or censure
- adj. bad; unfortunate.
“State Department spokesman Mark Toner says if reports that government security forces contributed to her death are accurate, then it demonstrates what he calls a "deplorable disregard for human dignity and respect" by Iranian authorities.”
“Radio Zambia Saturday quoted Kaunda as urging the South African government to intervene quickly to stop what he termed a deplorable human carnage.”
“He also made reference to the prisoner abuse scandal, saying the world has been troubled by what he called deplorable events.”
“SinoSoul.com is a food blog where you might find the word "deplorable" describing the burger "ball of beef" at well-respected L.A. restaurants such as The Hungry Cat and Jar.”
“VATICAN CITY - Pope Benedict XVI lashed out Sunday at what he called the "deplorable" raids carried out by Belgian police who detained bishops, confiscated...”
“It's taken so long to fix the jail for many reasons, Valdez says, most notably what she describes as the deplorable conditions she found there when she was first elected.”
“An American aid worker was among those killed and US President Barack Obama, condemning what he called deplorable and cowardly attacks, said Washington was ready to help Uganda in hunting down those responsible.”
“The Federal Road Safety Corps [FRSC] yesterday in Lagos raised an alarm over what it called the deplorable state of the 17-km Epe-Ibeju in the state.”
“U.S. Justice Department and other agencies to address what she calls the deplorable conditions at some facilities.”
“Miners not only lived and worked in deplorable conditions.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘deplorable’.
words associated with the macabre & horror.
( open list, randomness )
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
All my favourite words that I come across!
My big word list.
she's such a joy.
Words that I come across, and go blank, or want to clarify.
Looking for tweets for deplorable.