American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Appropriate to a villain, as in wickedness or depravity: a villainous plot.
- adj. Being or manifesting the nature of a villain: a villainous band of thieves.
- adj. Highly undesirable or offensive; obnoxious.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to, befitting, or having the character of a villain, in any sense; especially, very wicked or depraved; extremely vile.
- Proceeding from extreme wickedness or depravity: as, a villainous action.
- Of things, very bad; dreadful; mean; vile; wretched.
- In a vile manner or way; villainously.
- adj. of, relating to, or appropriate to a villain
- adj. obnoxious, offensive or reprehensible in nature or behaviour; nefarious
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Base; vile; mean; depraved.
- adj. Proceeding from, or showing, extreme depravity; suited to a villain.
- adj. Sorry; mean; mischievous; -- in a familiar sense.
- adj. extremely wicked
“Clearly, he considered me to have engaged in villainous practices.”
“While Megatron and Optimus Prime are fighting, Megatron says in villainous fashion, "These humans don't deserve to live!" to which Optimus replies, "They deserve to choose for themselves!”
“Plato to be pitied or laughd at? must he be elegized or odified? or be sung in villainous ballads to a scurvey tune?”
“That Emma has been flippant rather than villainous is the saving grace that makes Mr. Knightley’s reprimand seem not only tolerable but meliorative, an appeal to a latent, better self, one informed by the "natural charity" of her "heart," as A. Walton Litz puts it (141).”
“A nation that once was great is now called villainous because of people like Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.”
“Nor does either of these dramas, though the earlier depicts a corrupt civilisation, include even among the minor characters anyone who can be called villainous or horrible.”
“The "Nihongi" gives dates of events supposed to have happened fifteen hundred years before, with an accuracy which may be called villainous; while the "Kojiki" states that Wani, a Korean teacher, brought the "Thousand Character Classic" to Japan in A.D.”
“These assertions will be estimated at the proper value by those who are acquainted with Trenchard's pamphlets, pamphlets in which the shocking word villainous will without difficulty be found, and which are full of malignant reflections on William.”
“What separates the heroic from the villainous is the use, and abuse, of power.”
“Holland / Swamp Thing nearly completes this desire until the scientist, Jason Woodrue aka the villainous Floronic Man, hired by Swamp Thing's”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘villainous’.
Villains, evildoers, and the wonderful words to describe them.
Adjectives that are very, very bad.
135 Offensive Shakespearean Terms =)
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
What do you mean, that's a bad thing?
To describe personality, characteristic, trait, behaviour, quality and attribute of a person.
Looking for tweets for villainous.