American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Deserted; forsaken.
- adj. Exuberantly enthusiastic.
- adj. Recklessly unrestrained.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Deserted; utterly forsaken; left to destruction: as, an abandoned ship.
- Given up, as to vice, especially to the indulgence of vicious appetites or passions; shamelessly and recklessly wicked; profligate.
- Synonyms Forsaken, deserted, given up, relinquished, discarded, rejected, destitute, forlorn.
- Profligate, Abandoned, Reprobate, depraved, corrupt, vicious, wicked, unprincipled, hardened, dead to honor, incorrigible, irreclaimable. Profligate, abandoned, reprobate express extreme wickedness that has cast off moral restraint. Profligate is applied to one who throws away means and character in the pursuit of vice, and especially denotes depravity exhibited outwardly and conspicuously in conduct; hence it may be used to characterize political conduct: as, a profligate administration. Abandoned is applied to one who has given himself wholly up to the gratification of vicious propensities; it is stronger than profligate and weaker than reprobate. Reprobate is applied to one who has become insensible to reproof and is past hope; from its use in the Bible it has become the theological term for hopeless alienation from virtue or piety. (For comparison with depraved, etc., see criminal, a.)
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of abandon.
- adj. geology No longer being acted upon by the geologic forces that formed it.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Forsaken, deserted.
- adj. Self-abandoned, or given up to vice; extremely wicked, or sinning without restraint; irreclaimably wicked .
- adj. free from constraint
- adj. forsaken by owner or inhabitants
- From abandon, from French abandonné ("immoral") past participle of abandonner (Wiktionary)
“She explained the word abandoned had been removed from the announcement.”
“We have what we call the abandoned swimming pools.”
“And so what happens to this group that I call the abandoned, is that they get shoved around and increasingly out into the inner suburbs and end up almost out of sight, out of mind.”
“As an atheist, I cannot speak to what he describes as his abandoned wife's ultimate destination, but I can tell how Wesley Smith consultant to the Center for Bioethics and Culture—whom I often consult on these bitterly controversial cases because of his carefully researched books and articles—describes death by dehydration.”
“Neither was he totally hard and callous to impressions of religion, what we call abandoned; for he absolutely denied to curse”
“The General Land Office has a database of what it calls abandoned and submerged vessels that includes vessels as small as Jet Skis and as large as industrial barges.”
“Jimmy Olsen: Hanging out in abandoned building of the Newsboy Legion, Jimmy is getting his soiled laundry cleaned, all the while hanging out in his underwear in front of a bunch of under aged boys.”
“Other than any hardware found in abandoned army storage facilities it is unlikely that they will be well trained or led.”
“The Assassination Bureau, Ltd., which he struggled to finish and finally abandoned, is a good example of his lack of inspiration when his writing was not based on his own personal reality.”
“The Road Home program for single-family homeowners, which has cost federal taxpayers $7.9 billion, has a new contractor who is struggling to review a host of appeals, and workers who assist the homeless are finding more elderly people squatting in abandoned buildings.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘abandoned’.
This is Ghost List 2 ( the kind that go 'boo!' ) :P
( open list )
aa gets over 40 hits
aardvark 49 hits
abbatoir 103 hits
abjure 138 hits
In keeping with my other Prosies (like this one). There were a number of phrases as well as words in this speech that I found particularly compelling.
My fellow citizens: I stand here ...
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
Oxford 3000 is a list of the most common 3000 words in the English language publishe by OUP.
The keywords of the Oxford 3000 have been carefully selected by a group of language experts and ex...
When there's no one else around, my greatest company is Wordie. Pathetic?
Well, here comes all the words that begin with an A.
Wish me luck
a list exploring the differences between the words lonely and independent
Looking for tweets for abandoned.