American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Present and ready for use; at hand; accessible: kept a fire extinguisher available at all times.
- adj. Capable of being gotten; obtainable: a bedspread available in three colors.
- adj. Qualified and willing to serve or assist: a list of available candidates; was not available for comment.
- adj. Chemistry Capable of being used in a chemical reaction: available electrons.
- adj. Botany Present, as in soil, and capable of being used by plants as a nutrient: available water; available minerals.
- adj. Archaic Capable of bringing about a beneficial result or effect.
- adj. Law Archaic Valid. Used especially of a plea.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Profitable; advantageous; having efficacy.
- Having sufficient power, force, or efficacy for the object; valid.
- Capable of being used or employed with advantage; attainable; accessible; at one's disposal: as, his resources were not available at the time.
- Advailable is a rare and obsolete form.
- adj. Such as one may avail one’s self of; capable of being used for the accomplishment of a purpose.
- adj. Readily obtainable.
- adj. law Valid
- adj. archaic Having sufficient power, force, or efficacy to achieve the purpose; availing, effective.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. obsolete Having sufficient power, force, or efficacy, for the object; effectual; valid.
- adj. Such as one may avail one's self of; capable of being used for the accomplishment of a purpose; usable; profitable; advantageous; convertible into a resource
- adj. obtainable or accessible and ready for use or service
- adj. convenient for use or disposal
- adj. not busy; not otherwise committed
- avail + -able (Wiktionary)
“If that's the best spin available, is it better than no spin at all???”
“Perhaps the most important piece of information from IDPF's meeting in NYC was that overall sales increased when an author made his/her title available via ebook.”
“Recently, one of the region's Virgin Megastores included in its book section the Arabic translation of Mein Kampf, by Adolf Hitler, a title available worldwide in major bookstores and online," a statement said.”
“During physicals, Jan. 3 through 8 at the Daily News at its new location, 4 New York Plaza near the Staten Island Ferry terminal, all boxers in attendance are required to have their coaches present or obliged to have a name available for paperwork.”
“Now they've heroically made the title available again, not only as hard copy for £10 through print-on-demand, but also as a free PDF download (13. 55MB).”
“The new tracks are thanks to a deal Sony has signed with Universal Music that will see hit songs from the label available on SingStore, the online store for SingStar on the PS3.”
“A few months ago, Time Magazine made a list of final candidates for this title available on its website and began collecting votes.”
“Note: We will not be making copies of this title available to large online retailers or our wholesale accounts.”
“There are circumstances in which the only word available is “to persist”.”
“This makes this title available to those who do not have book purchases in their budget.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘available’.
Budgetese - not a sexy topic but a very comprehensive list of words and collocations used in EU circles. Budgeting experts please comment and expand.
heading, across-the-board ..., emergency reserve, frontload, mopping-up, performance reserve, positive margin, negative margin, public finances, structural operat..., administrative ex..., management of EU ... and 657 more...
additionality, audit trail, accounting standards, auditing standards, general audit obj..., a posteriori audit, a priori audit, above board, acceptable error ..., access rights, accountability, accountable entities and 1283 more...
Use these and get promoted
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
Words related to the mental state of "being in the present in the moment".
Very basic words for ESL students.
This is a list of academic words for students learning English as a Second or Foreign Language. It includes 570 word families that often appear in academic texts. It does not include words that are...
just the next words that come along
For nonporous surfaces.
Looking for tweets for available.