from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Possible to see; perceptible to the eye: a visible object.
- adj. Obvious to the eye: a visible change of expression.
- adj. Being often in the public view; conspicuous.
- adj. Manifest; apparent: no visible solution to the problem.
- adj. On hand; available: a visible supply.
- adj. Constructed or designed to keep important parts in easily accessible view: a visible file.
- adj. Represented visually, as by symbols.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Able to be seen.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Perceivable by the eye; capable of being seen; perceptible; in view
- adj. Noticeable; apparent; open; conspicuous.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Perceivable by the eye; capable of being seen; open to sight.
- Apparent; open; conspicuous: as, a man with no visible means of support.
- In entomology, noting parts which are not concealed by other parts, as the spiracles when they are not concealed under the hard parts of the integument: opposed to covered
- n. That which is seen by the eye.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. capable of being seen; or open to easy view
- adj. present and easily available
- adj. obvious to the eye
'In the past few weeks, wingnut America has been going through a rough break-up with two of its most visible and attractive young women, and by \ "most visible\" I really mean the only young women even tangentially associated with the Republican party, conservative movement, or whatever they\'re calling themselves these days.
The _invisible_ life on this planet is unquestionably far greater than the _visible_ but both visible and invisible doubtless belong to the planet earth.
Recently, one of the leading Republican candidates for president, Texas Governor Rick Perry was reported to have taken friends, colleagues and contributors hunting on a ranch widely known as Niggerhead -- a name visible on a large rock at its entrance.
(Mr. Margiela leaves four stitches securing the label visible on the outside of the garment.)
As they slept, a tearful Packy Noonan was sitting on the stump of their beloved tree holding a machete in his hand, the beam of his flashlight pointing to the name visible on the handle: Wayne Covel.
Since her disappearance, she has been sighted multiple times -- plain as day with her name visible on the hull.
Has the term visible minority become totally obsolete?
And that's because this is what we call a visible satellite.
Dr. Amen calls this a hot brain overall—one that exhibits what he calls a visible “ring of fire.”
Only what we call the visible spectrum, from violet through blue, green, yellow, and orange to red.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.