American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Relating to or suggestive of a giant.
- adj. Exceedingly large of its kind: a gigantic toadstool.
- adj. Very large or extensive: a gigantic corporation. See Synonyms at enormous.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Resembling a giant; of extraordinary size or proportions; very large; huge; enormous.
- Pertaining to or suitable for a giant; characteristic of giants; immense in scale or degree.
- Synonyms Colossal, vast, immense, prodigious, mighty, ponderous, herculean, cyclopean.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of extraordinary size; like a giant.
- adj. Such as a giant might use, make, or cause; immense; tremendous; extraordinarly.
- adj. so exceedingly large or extensive as to suggest a giant or mammoth
- From Ancient Greek γιγαντικός. (Wiktionary)
- From Latin gigās, gigant-, giant; see giant, or from Greek gigantikos (from gigās, gigant-, giant). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The Osages are so tall and robust as almost to warrant the application of the term gigantic: few of them appear to be under six feet, and many are above it.”
“In like manner the commander of Fort Casimir, when he found his martial spirit waxing too hot within him, would sally forth into the fields and lay about him most lustily with his sabre; decapitating cabbages by platoons; hewing down lofty sunflowers, which he termed gigantic Swedes; and if, perchance, he espied a colony of big-bellied pumpkins quietly basking in the sun, "Ah! caitiff Yankees!" would he roar, "have I caught ye at last?”
“For at such times, when he found his martial spirit waxing hot within him, he would prudently sally forth into the fields, and lugging out his trusty sabre, of full two flemish ells in length, would lay about him most lustily, decapitating cabbages by platoons — hewing down whole phalanxes of sunflowers, which he termed gigantic”
“And then, the writing on the wall flashing in gigantic neon letters, they tried an end-run -- appealing to the BC Supreme Court to enjoin Braidwood from finding any misconduct on their part.”
“The Korean signs say Census 2010″ in gigantic letters.”
“What do you call a gigantic man-made disaster that is threatening to despoil the ecosystems and wreck the economies of the Gulf Coast?”
“I could have done without the attempts to make the movie a "real" spy movie --- I'm talking about all the things that get blown up and swallowed in gigantic fireballs and about the realistic violence of the fistfights.”
“Nothing needs to be done in gigantic, multibillion dollar leaps.”
“The opportunity arrives when a typhoon strikes while the boats and crew are away and Chris must reefs sails and take the wheel when the ship rears in gigantic waves and the sailing master is injured, the Chinese cook washed overboard.”
“They are cut in gigantic chunks for a reason, and heavy with water.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘gigantic’.
Words that contain both a "hard G" and a "soft G".
Words, terms and phrases that denote big, bigness, or making something bigger.
Words ending in ic, tic or nic.
Words pertaining to large.
Words/phrases inextricably tied to the songs they're in, sparking off earworms here there & everywhere (there's one, to start with). Only my own personal examples.
Do guess the more p...
Words I have problem spelling, pronouncing, or plain don't like.
logo design descriptive words
Looking for tweets for gigantic.