from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The Atlantic Ocean.
- adj. Of, in, or near the Atlantic Ocean.
- adj. Of, on, or near the eastern coast of the United States.
- adj. Of or concerning countries bordering the Atlantic Ocean, especially those of Europe and North America.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The Atlantic Ocean.
- proper n. A branch of the Niger-Congo languages spoken along the Atlantic coast in West Africa.
- adj. Pertaining to the Atlantic Ocean.
- adj. Pertaining to locations adjacent to or in the vicinity of the Atlantic Ocean, such as the British Isles or the eastern seaboard of the USA.
- adj. Pertaining to the legendary island of Atlantis.
- adj. Pertaining to the Atlantic language family.
- adj. Descended from the legendary Atlas.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to Mt. Atlas in Libya, and hence applied to the ocean which lies between Europe and Africa on the east and America on the west
- adj. Of or pertaining to the isle of Atlantis.
- adj. Descended from Atlas.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or descended from Atlas: as, “the seven Atlantic Sisters” (the Pleiades)
- Appellative of or pertaining to that division of the ocean which lies between Europe and Africa on the east and America on the west.
- n. The Atlantic ocean.
- [lowercase] Relating to the atlas or first vertebra of the neck.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. relating to or bordering the Atlantic Ocean
- n. the 2nd largest ocean; separates North and South America on the west from Europe and Africa on the east
Middle English Atlantik, from Latin (mare) Atlanticum, Atlantic (sea), from Greek (pelagos) Atlantikos, from Atlās, Atlant-, Atlas, Mount Atlas (in west Africa, on which the heavens were believed to rest); see telə- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin Atlanticus. (Wiktionary)
Derived from the above meaning. (Wiktionary)