from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Relating to or resembling a drum.
- adj. Anatomy Of or relating to the middle ear or eardrum.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of, relating to, or resembling a drum
- adj. relating to the eardrum or middle ear; tympanal
- adj. resonant
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Like a tympanum or drum; acting like a drumhead.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the tympanum.
- n. The tympanic bone.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of, pertaining to, or resembling a tympan or tympanum; similar to or acting like a drumhead.
- In anatomy, of or pertaining to the tympanum: as, the tympanic cavity.
- n. A bone of the ear of man and mammals, supporting the tympanic membrane, generally annular or tubular, forming most of the meatus auditorius externus, or external auditory passage.
- n. Below mammals, in animals in which the true tympanic is rudimentary or wanting, the quadrate or pedicellate bone, the representative of the malleus; the suspensorium of the lower jaw, or especially its uppermost piece, the hyomandibular or epitympanic: so called by some who suppose it to be the tympanic bone, from the fact that it in part supports the tympanic membrane. See quadrate, n., 3 , hyomandibular, epitympanic, and other compounds of tympanic there cited
- n. In ornithology, sometimes, the tympano-occipital, considered as the true representative in birds of the tympanic of a mammal.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. associated with the eardrum
- adj. resembling a drum
From Latin tympanum, drum; see tympanum.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)