from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, relating to, or affecting the pleura, or the sides of the thorax.
- adj. Thin and transparent.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the pleura or pleuræ, or to the sides of the thorax.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to a pleura or the pleuræ as, the pleural investment of the lungs; the pleural cavity; pleural effusion or adhesions. Also pleuric.
- Pertaining to a rib or a pleuron, or to the ribs or the pleura collectively; costal; situated on the side of the thorax or chest.
- Lateral, in general; situated on the side of the body: correlated with dorsal, ventral, etc.
- In arthropods, pertaining to an arthropleura or pleurite: applied to the lateral limb-bearing section of an arthromere, between the sternite and the tergite. See cuts under Brachyura and Trilobita.
- Especially, in entomology, lateral and thoracic: as, a pleural sclerite; a pleural segment of a thoracic somite.
- n. A pleural process. Specifically: One of the bones that in turtles overlie and unite with the ribs, forming the greater portion of the carapace; a costal: correlative with neural. Most commonly used in the plural.
- n. In fishes, one of the long rays of bone attached to the side of the vertebras and extending downward partly around the abdominal cavity; a rib.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to the pleura or the walls of the thorax
Sorry, no etymologies found.