from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, resembling, or serving as a monument.
- adj. Impressively large, sturdy, and enduring.
- adj. Of outstanding significance: Einstein's monumental contributions to physics.
- adj. Astounding: monumental cowardice; monumental talent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. in the manner of a monument.
- adj. large, grand and imposing. Fitting to be a monument to someone or something.
- adj. Taking a great amount of time and effort to complete
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or suitable for, a monument.
- adj. Serving as a monument; memorial; preserving memory.
- adj. Of lasting significance.
- adj. Exceptionally large in quantity, quality, or degree
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of, pertaining to, or connected with a monument or monuments: as, a monumental inscription.
- Belonging to a tomb.
- Serving as a monument or as material for a monument; memorial; preserving memory: as, a monumental pillar.
- Having the character of a monument; resembling a monument.
- Conspicuous and permanent; historically prominent; impressive.
- Conspicuous as a monument; notable; excessive; amazing: as, monumental impudence.
- n. A monumental record; a memorial.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. imposing in size or bulk or solidity
- adj. relating or belonging to or serving as a monument
- adj. of outstanding significance
Sorry, no etymologies found.