from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An unusually large person, animal, or thing.
- adj. Unusually large: jumbo shrimp; a jumbo jet.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Especially large or powerful.
- n. An especially large or powerful person, animal or thing.
- n. A popular name for an elephant.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Very large.
- n. Any object which is a very large example of its class.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A very large individual of its kind or class.
- n. Any large, cumbersome machine; in particular, a home-made windmill built for lifting water for irrigation on the Great Plains.
- n. In the West Indies, same as mumbo-jumbo. In the form jumby it is used in various compounds.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of great mass; huge and bulky
After Jumbo, a large elephant exhibited by P.T. Barnum, probably from slang, clumsy person.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)