from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large sheep of a breed originating in England.
- n. A pig of a breed developed in the United States, having a black body with a white beltlike band.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A maritime county in the south of England bordered by Berkshire, Surrey, Sussex, Dorset, Wiltshire and the English Channel; also includes the Isle of Wight.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. British breed of hornless dark-faced domestic sheep
- n. a county of southern England on the English Channel
After Hampshire, a county of southern England.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
English ham + shire (county). The 'p' evolved phonetically between [m] and [sh], as with Thom'pl.'son. (Wiktionary)