from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The quality or state of being gigantic; abnormally large size.
- n. Excessive growth of the body or any of its parts, especially as a result of oversecretion of the growth hormone by the pituitary gland. Also called giantism.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The quality or state of being gigantic; being of abnormally large size.
- n. A condition where there is over-production of growth hormone by the pituitary gland in a child before the bone growth plates close, resulting in excessive long bone growth, accompanied by muscular weakness and sexual impotence.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In biology, aberration from the normal standard by increase in size; monstrous stature.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. excessive largeness of stature
- n. excessive size; usually caused by excessive secretion of growth hormone from the pituitary gland
From Latin gigans ("giant") and -ism; equivalent to giant + -ism. (Wiktionary)