from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A chronic disease of adults marked by enlargement of the bones of the extremities, face, and jaw that is caused by overactivity of the pituitary gland.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A chronic disease marked by enlargement of the bones of the extremities, face, and jaw that is caused by over-activity of the pituitary gland.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Chronic enlargement of the extremities and face.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A disease characterized by hypertrophy of the bones and soft tissues of the face and extremities.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. enlargement of bones of hands and feet and face; often accompanied by headache and muscle pain and emotional disturbances; caused by overproduction of growth hormone by the anterior pituitary gland (due to a tumor)
French acromégalie : Greek akron, top, extremity (from neuter of akros, extreme; see acro-) + Greek megas, megal-, big; see meg- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
French acromégalie, from New Latin acromegalia, from Ancient Greek ἄκρον (akron, "tip, extremity") and μέγας (megas, "large"). acro- + -megaly (Wiktionary)