American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A chronic disease of adults marked by enlargement of the bones of the extremities, face, and jaw that is caused by overactivity of the pituitary gland.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A disease characterized by hypertrophy of the bones and soft tissues of the face and extremities. It is thought to be due, possibly, to a morbid change in the internal secretion of the pituitary body, since this structure is also enlarged. Most of the so-called ‘giants’ owe their size to this disorder. Also called
- n. pathology A chronic disease marked by enlargement of the bones of the extremities, face, and jaw that is caused by over-activity of the pituitary gland.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Med.) Chronic enlargement of the extremities and face.
- n. enlargement of bones of hands and feet and face; often accompanied by headache and muscle pain and emotional disturbances; caused by overproduction of growth hormone by the anterior pituitary gland (due to a tumor)
- French acromégalie, from New Latin acromegalia, from Ancient Greek ἄκρον (akron, "tip, extremity") and μέγας (megas, "large"). acro- + -megaly (Wiktionary)
- French acromégalie : Greek akron, top, extremity (from neuter of akros, extreme; see acro-) + Greek megas, megal-, big; see meg- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“It is possible that in acromegaly, in some stages of the disease there may be a hypophyseal diabetes and at others a metahypophyseal diabetes.”
“The frequency of glycosuria or diabetes in acromegaly has been reported many times; Atkinson found it in”
“In the disease called acromegaly, which is due to a change in the pituitary gland, amongst other things are noted ` ` melancholic tendencies, loss of memory and mental and physical torpor. '”
“This parallelled his true situation, where he had a normal face until being exposed to poison gas during WWI, which triggered the onset of the head-enlarging syndrome known as acromegaly.”
“Hatton died with his last picture, 1946's THE BRUTE MAN, still awaiting release -- the victim of a bone-distorting pituitary disease called acromegaly, which had also been responsible for his distorted features.”
“They should note what happens in the disease called acromegaly, a condition of too much growth hormone.”
“I wonder if Kerry suffered from a mild case of the pituitary problem called acromegaly that causes bones to keep growing.”
“The result of this condition, which is called acromegaly (ak'roh-meg'uh-lee; "large extremities" G), is a rather grotesque distortion of features.”
“Enlargement of the hypophysis and of the cavity of the sella turcica are found in the rare disease acromegaly, which is characterized by gradual enlargement of the face, hands, and feet, with headache and often a peculiar type of blindness.”
“And of course there's a disease, acromegaly, which is actually characterized by an excess of human growth hormone.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘acromegaly’.
Not just rare words, but thousands of RARE WORDS WITH DEFINITIONS.
If you want to see the definitions, too, go to
A selected sampling of words for intermediate and advanced spellers.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
A list of words whose meanings I am learning, either because a) I don't know the meaning b) I know the meaning, but could stand to better appreciate certain inflections or secondary meanings or c) ...
Looking for tweets for acromegaly.