American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or employing hyperbole.
- adj. Mathematics Of, relating to, or having the form of hyperbola.
- adj. Mathematics Of or relating to a geometric system in which two or more lines can be drawn through any point in a plane and not intersect a given line in the plane.
- adj. Mathematics Of or relating to a hyperbolic function: hyperbolic cosine.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or of the nature of hyperbole; obviously exaggerating or exaggerated.
- Pertaining to or of the nature of the hyperbola.
- Having a pair of real points at infinity. Thus, hyperbolic space is so called beacause in it every right line has two real points at infinity; so hyperbolic transformation, substitution, etc.
- adj. of or relating to hyperbole
- adj. using hyperbole: exaggerated
- adj. Of or pertaining to an hyperbola.
- adj. Indicates that the specified function is a hyperbolic function rather than a trigonometric function.
- adj. mathematics Having negative curvature or sectional curvature.
- adj. geometry, topology Whose domain has two (possibly ideal) fixed points joined by a line mapped to itself by translation.
- adj. topology Of, pertaining to, or in a hyperbolic space (a space having negative curvature or sectional curvature).
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Math.) Belonging to the hyperbola; having the nature of the hyperbola.
- adj. (Rhet.) Relating to, containing, or of the nature of, hyperbole; exaggerating or diminishing beyond the fact; exceeding the truth.
- adj. enlarged beyond truth or reasonableness
- adj. of or relating to a hyperbola
- hyperbola + -ic (Wiktionary)
“But In regards to our dialog and you attaching arguments to me that I did not make while engaging in hyperbolic statements addressed to me, I can.”
“You engaged in hyperbolic vitriol and attempted to turn my stance into one of a patronizing controlling male incapable of comprehending your world view.”
“A relative newcomer named Hakaan Yildirim, who won Paris's prestigious Andam award for young talent, was a victim of boastful handlers who described him in hyperbolic terms he could never live up to.”
“Where "dictatorship" becomes somewhat less hyperbolic is with regard to the policy-based presidential veto that I have previously railed against.”
“The first, undervaluation of the future, is called hyperbolic discounting.”
“The frilly crinolated forms that you see in corals, and kelps, and sponges, and nudibranchs, is a form of geometry known as hyperbolic geometry.”
“The saddle-shaped structure is also known as a hyperbolic paraboloid surface, or an anticlastic surface.”
“It is a sort of social fairy-tale, where every one has exquisite beauty, limitless wealth, and exalted rank, where the impossible and the hyperbolic are the only homely virtues.”
“Dedicated Roarers may recall a hyperbolic shambles posted in November last year claiming big things beckoned for the Wallabies after their crushing defeat of England.”
“They are known as the hyperbolic sine, hyperbolic cosine, hyperbolic tangent, hyperbolic cosecant, hyperbolic secant, and hyperbolic cotangent.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hyperbolic’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words I like.
Words from politics, news, and business
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favorite word" and adds it to this list.
unfathomably, glice, cuh, fab, ciggaty, doll, thuggin, oxymoronic, pineapple, succubutt, griming, cheeky and 2369 more...
List of most of the words I've learned
Words of 10 letters, all different, can be used for encrypting, pretty securely, such things as PINs and passwords. The fly in the ointment, for me, in keeping track of them is I've got to write '...
ones I already liked
So many lovely words out there being forgotten and left in a dark corner. Help us bring them into the light where they belong and use them today before it's too late!
Looking for tweets for hyperbolic.