from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Consisting of or containing fire.
- adj. Burning or glowing.
- adj. Using or effected with fire.
- adj. Easily ignited; flammable.
- adj. Having the color of fire; brightly red: fiery hair; a fiery sunset.
- adj. Torridly hot.
- adj. Feverishly hot and flushed: fiery cheeks.
- adj. Being in an inflamed, usually painful condition: a fiery boil.
- adj. Easily excited or emotionally volatile; tempestuous: a fiery temper.
- adj. Charged with emotion; spirited: a fiery denunciation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, or relating to fire
- adj. Burning or glowing
- adj. Inflammable or easily ignited
- adj. Having the colour of fire
- adj. Hot or inflamed
- adj. Tempestuous or emotionally volatile
- adj. Spirited or filled with emotion
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Consisting of, containing, or resembling, fire
- adj. Vehement; ardent; very active; impetuous.
- adj. Passionate; easily provoked; irritable.
- adj. Unrestrained; fierce; mettlesome; spirited.
- adj. heated by fire, or as if by fire; burning hot; parched; feverish.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Consisting of fire, or resembling fire; burning or flaming: as, the fiery flood of Etna; a fiery meteor; a flower of a fiery color.
- Like fire in character or quality; vehement; impetuous; passionate; fierce: as, a fiery speech; a fiery steed.
- Like fire in effect; heated by or as if by fire; producing a burning sensation: as, a fiery wound or eruption; fiery liquors or condiments.
- In cricket, causing the ball to bound high after pitching: said of wicket or bowler.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. characterized by intense emotion
- adj. like or suggestive of fire
- adj. very intense
Middle English firi, from fir, fire; see fire.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Middle English firi, from fir ("fire"). (Wiktionary)