from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Parched with the heat of the sun; intensely hot.
- adj. Scorching; burning: the torrid noonday sun.
- adj. Passionate; ardent: a torrid love scene.
- adj. Hurried; rapid: set a torrid pace; torrid economic growth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Very hot and dry.
- adj. Full of intense emotions arising from sexual love; ardent and passionate.
- adj. Full of difficulty.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Parched; dried with heat.
- adj. Violenty hot; drying or scorching with heat; burning; parching.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Parched and dry with heat, especially of the sun; arid; sultry; hot; specifically, noting a zone of the earth's surface.
- Burning; scorching; parching.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. extremely hot
- adj. emotionally charged and vigorously energetic
- adj. characterized by intense emotion
Latin torridus, from torrēre, to parch; see ters- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin torridus, from torrere ("parch, scorch"). (Wiktionary)