- adj. informal In progress, happening.
- n. The process of preparing food by using heat.
- n. by extension The process of preparing food.
- n. by extension The result of that process, a meal.
- n. The style or genre of food preparation; cookery.
- v. present participle of cook.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. the practice or manner of preparing food or the food so prepared; cookery.
- n. the act of preparing something (as food) by the application of heat.
- n. the act of preparing something (as food) by the application of heat
- From cook + -ing. The noun and adjective follow from the verb. (Wiktionary)
“Though he has made his name cooking Italian food, he occasionally calls upon his French training, he said, "to just make a dish better.”
“MasterChef has given us so much: the idea that shouting at each other from close proximity is a reasonable way to debate, the phrase "cooking doesn't get tougher than this", and now the chance to take part in a holiday 'cook-off' in the style of the TV show.”
“But the big money in cooking is on the corporate side, where multi-national corporations do a big volume of prepared and pre-cooked foods, in addition to their restaurant chains.”
“Our only standard of taste in cooking is personal appetite and caprice.”
“The one that relates to cooking is to find a really, really good recipe for hot and sour soup.”
“Now this is what we call cooking with gas! by karmacounselor on Thursday, Dec 24, 2009 at 7: 51: 30 AM”
“Now that's what I call cooking two birds with one recipe!”
“Surely honesty, sobriety, and steadiness must have grown dreadfully scarce qualities, that one puts up with such a cook; especially as her cooking is as careless as the rest of her doings.”
“Roger Trew, who had ascended the ladder with his bundle of bedding, deposited it in the room my uncle pointed out, and forthwith commenced unlashing it; and knowing that he would prove a better assistant to the dame than Oliver and I should, we accompanied my uncle to what he called his cooking-shed, at the back of the house.”
“I’m never ever going to be able to hoard all of Barbara’s cooking from the rest of the world by trying to play off of her underdeveloped sense of gastronomic genius, and telling her he cooking is awful and I have to save her reputation by eating it all up.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘cooking’.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Very basic words for ESL students.
My daughter's expressive vocabulary as of Dec 2012 (born May '11), including quasi-lexical interjections. No attempt is made to reflect (mis)pronunciation by phonetic spelling, even though it would...
Everything I've ever held an interest in.
all about me
Looking for tweets for cooking.