American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A characteristic manner or style of preparing food: Spanish cuisine.
- n. Food; fare.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kitchen.
- n. The culinary department of a house, hotel, etc., including the cooks.
- n. The manner or style of cooking; cookery.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The kitchen or cooking department.
- n. Manner or style of cooking.
- n. the practice or manner of preparing food or the food so prepared
- Borrowed from French cuisine ("cooking, culinary art, kitchen"). More details: see there. (Wiktionary)
- French, from Old French, from Vulgar Latin *cocīna, variant of Latin coquīna, kitchen, cookery, from coquere, to cook; see pekw- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“It appears that much of the cuisine is an intuitive affair, based on the state, and available ingredients.”
“Many human beings are under the deplorable mistake of supposing we live on slimy water and dirty insects – ha, ha, ha! whereas our cuisine is astounding in variety and delicacy of material and flavour.”
“It seems reliable Asian cuisine is available to us, for a certain price.”
“You can infuse personality, style, and culture into the cuisine, in other words, really make your wedding a memorable experience for your guests, without creating a full “theme” wedding.”
“French cuisine went through a major slimming phase nearly 40 years ago—it was called cuisine minceur .”
“Chinese cuisine is one of the glories of the world, and their meals are well balanced, but in ways that we westerners have no idea.”
“My education into American regional cuisine is complete.”
“Moroccan cuisine is far from repulsive although it can get a little repetitive once you have permed every combination of cous-cous and tajine with goat, chicken, fish and vegetables.”
“They will continue, in other words, to shape the future of this fascinating, complex thing we call cuisine.”
“I am not a fan of restaurants in the first place; prefer my own cooking anyway, so cuisine is not an issue for me, nor is good wine: Thursday's vintage of Padre Kino is aok, even if it does stain the bottle red.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘cuisine’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
Cultural realia from Hungary.
I have only included realia that already have an English spelling variant and DID NOT include Hungarian words that would be used in English texts unchang...
A list of difficult words for L2-12 learners.
Hecko, words! I’m so happy I’ve found you. I want to keep you all and never want to lose you again. I hope you like it here.
when describing about taste and flavour
Words I love the sound of :)
Looking for tweets for cuisine.