American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The cardinal number that is equal to the sum of 12 + 1.
- n. The 13th in a set or sequence.
- n. Something having 13 parts, units, or members.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Being three more than ten; consisting of one more than twelve: a cardinal numeral.
- n. The number which consists of the sum of twelve and one, or of ten and three.
- n. A symbol representing thirteen units, as 13, XIII, or xiii.
- n. A silver shilling worth 13 pence, current in Ireland during the early part of the nineteenth century.
- n. The cardinal number occurring after twelve and before fourteen, represented in Roman numerals as XIII and in Arabic numerals as 13.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. One more than twelve; ten and three.
- n. The number greater by one than twelve; the sum of ten and three; thirteen units or objects.
- n. A symbol representing thirteen units, as 13 or xiii.
- adj. being one more than twelve
- n. the cardinal number that is the sum of twelve and one
- From Middle English thirttene, variant (through metathesis) of thrittene, from Old English þreotīene, þreotene, from Proto-Germanic *þritehun. Compare West Frisian trettjin, Dutch dertien, German dreizehn, Danish tretten. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English thyrtene, alteration of thrittene, from Old English thrēotīne; see trei- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“He defaulted three years later, hired a lawyer, failed to sell the house and hasn't made a mortgage payment in thirteen months.”
“The fact that your mother could have been breast feeding you at age thirteen is …. too creepy to contemplate.”
“I've anchored here a hundred times in thirteen fathoms.”
“But then, mutiny on the high seas in the year nineteen-thirteen is also grotesque.”
“All films are shown in thirteen curated themed programs including two to four films and lasting approximately 90 minutes.”
“In internet years thirteen is almost ancient .. well done Art Daily.”
“Hey, time works different in thirteen dimensional chess”
“Those laws were rarely enforced by the early 21st century, but gay couples did live under perpetual threat of arrest in thirteen states prior to Lawrence (though the Texas statute at issue in Lawrence imposed a modest fine rather than a jail term).”
“That would so suck if she did play her, I mean like she was okay in thirteen, but now shes terrible and Leah should be played by someone thats been in like artsy movies.”
“While the fate of the show past production on episode thirteen is still unclear, FOX has given us the go-ahead to write two more additional episodes for this season — fourteen and fifteen.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘thirteen’.
Unabashedly stolen from a comment made by courier12.
Words in the Bible evoking biblical stories or with special spiritual meaning. Proper names have been reduced to the minimum.
A list of some words for numbers (mostly cardinal numbers, but a few other important ones that have short descriptions).
Names of numbers.
Looking for tweets for thirteen.