American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A communal toilet of a type often used in a camp or barracks.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A privy; a water-closet; especially, a water-closet in a public place, as in factories, schools, barracks, hospitals, etc.
- n. a very simple toilet facility, usually just a pit or trench. See also the slang terms john and johnny house.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A privy, or water-closet, esp. in a camp, hospital, etc.
- n. a public toilet in a military area
- From Latin lātrīna. (Wiktionary)
- From French latrines, privies, from Old French, from Latin lātrīna, privy, from lavātrīna, bath, privy; see leu(ə)- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The latrine is within the barbed wire at a little distance from the quarters with two seats and a urinal (Pit-type).”
“This drawing of a latrine is painted on a wall next to the main square in San Martin Tilcajete, Oaxaca.”
“We need a reliable supply of drinking water, mattresses and bedding, as well as kitchen utensils," says Zeenat, adding that "a latrine is a priority.”
“I growled that I didn't put any faith in latrine-gossip - especially if the latrine was a Hindoo one, and at this one of the older men, Sardul something-or-other, shook his head and says gravely:”
“And the spot Joe and I had chosen for our latrine was a good forty yards from the tent.”
“On my first visit, I discovered that the latrine was a couple of holes in the ground that you squatted over to relieve yourself.”
“Our latrine was a five-gallon can in the center of the hold; it was soon filled.”
“I growled that I didn't put any faith in latrine-gossip — especially if the latrine was a Hindoo one, and at this one of the older men, Sardul something-or-other, shook his head and says gravely:”
“Their latrine was a folding lawn chair with a hole in it.”
“When soldiers finally allowed her to use a latrine in the courtyard, she found her brother's body there, wrapped in a bloody sheet.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘latrine’.
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
Names for the place where you do your business.
My L Words
Looking for tweets for latrine.