from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Soiled or laundered clothes and linens; wash.
- n. A commercial establishment for laundering clothes or linens.
- n. A room or an area, as in a house, for doing the wash.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A laundering; a washing.
- n. A place or room where laundering is done - including, by extension, other forms of laundering than clothes washing.
- n. That which needs to be, is being, or has been laundered.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A laundering; a washing.
- n. A place or room where laundering is done; a laundry room.
- n. A business establishment where clothing is laundered for a fee.
- n. A collection of items such as articles of clothing or bed linens that need to be laundered, or have just been laundered.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To launder.
- n. The act of washing; a washing.
- n. A place, as a room or a building, where clothes are washed and ironed; an establishment where laundry-work is carried on.
- n. [In the following passage the word is ludicrously put for launder:
- n. Soluble Prussian blue.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. garments or white goods that can be cleaned by laundering
- n. workplace where clothes are washed and ironed
Today, this morning, at dawn, we loaded up all the laundry, which was piles and piles of it, because the dryer has been breaking for days, and drove off to hunt down a laundromat these are both scarcer and pricier than they used to be -- I will appall you later with tales of how much it costs to wash a load of laundry*.
The keyword laundry list will no longer carry the day, but keywords remain important to the resume and must be included.
It might make things hectic now, but when I come home from travelling, I find I am always very tired and the laundry is a mountain.
The water from the laundry is then used throughout the day for flushing the toilet - I turned off the water to the toilet and we just pour in a bucket of water to flush.
City Budget Director Tony Arcuri went through what he called a laundry list of things effecting the budget including, county cuts of about $900,000, contractual increases in salaries for union employees of about $840,000, a drop in mortgage tax revenue estimated at
My Husband said this "the only thing worse than doing laundry, is to be unable to do it" ....
I just kept hearing, Single mothers do this every day and their houses are clean, their laundry is done, they take care of themselves.
Republicans are generally a whole lot better than Democrats about hiding such dirty laundry from the public eye, but the Tea Party folks may not be as disciplined as the party regulars in this regard, so it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
Women who were widows who needed income, would often taken in laundry and ironing, from people who could not do their own.
However, we are still having cooked meals and the laundry is being kept up.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.