from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Performance or management of household tasks.
- n. Management and maintenance of the property and equipment of an institution or organization.
- n. Routine tasks and procedures carried out in the functioning of an operation or system.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The chores of maintaining a house as a residence, especially cleaning.
- n. Any general tasks that involve preparation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Domestic; used in a family.
- n. The state of occupying a dwelling house as a householder.
- n. Care of domestic concerns; management of a house and home affairs.
- n. Hospitality; a liberal and hospitable table; a supply of provisions.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The management of home affairs; care of domestic concerns.
- n. Supply of provisions for household use.
- n. Hospitality.
- Domestic; used in a family: as, housekeeping commodities.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the work of cleaning and running a house
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Light housekeeping, standby assist for bathing* Two clients - women* Afternoon & evening hours (M-F) EXPERIENCED BATHER and HOMEMAKER* Must have reliabe transportation* Must have exp in giving showers & bed baths to men / women, light housekeeping* Willing to travel to Rio Rancho, Corrales, Bernalillo area*P / T to start - Must be open full day & possible week-endsPlease call 242-6236 and speak with ElaineEEO / AAP EMPLOYER BUY A HOME; GET A CHECK, UP-TO $8000.00, GOVERNMENT STIMULUS PROGRAMS, FHA Loans, New Homes
One reason I got so behind in housekeeping was that there were so many laborers I had to work around.
But, most of the jobs available for the mazatlecos are in housekeeping, gardening and other service areas, with pay hovering around 70 pesos a day.
Really, exercise of almost any sort, especially some type of housekeeping, is one of my favorite ways to get rid of the "blahs", & I like that I have something extra to show for my efforts.
Cameron, who started working for the Conservative party in the last two years of Thatcher's period in Downing Street, will echo two of her most famous statements when he says today: After a decade of reckless spending under Labour, Britain needs good housekeeping from the Conservatives.
I was brought up to believe in the modern myth that housekeeping is only drudgery, and the housewife is a downtrodden martyr.
We are beholden to those of our mothers who wanted to keep a beautiful home (no matter how much or how little money they had) and to Martha Stewart and also to Cheryl Mendelson (and her wonderful and very informative book, Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House) to a new understanding that housekeeping is a gratifying and civilizing activity.
"I was brought up to believe in the modern myth that housekeeping is only drudgery, and the housewife is a downtrodden martyr."
"One View of Domestic Science" (October 1911) "The idea that every woman needs practical instruction in housekeeping as a part of her education is as absurd as would be the claim that every man needs to be taught in school to plant corn or milk a cow."
I also like the reminder that own housekeeping is a ministry to our families.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.