from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To furnish, provide, or adorn with something ornamental; embellish.
- transitive v. To confer a medal or other honor on: was decorated for bravery.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To furnish with decorations.
- v. To improve the appearance of an interior of a house, room, office and so forth.
- v. (transitive) (In some programming languages) To extend a method, etc. by attaching some further code item.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To deck with that which is becoming, ornamental, or honorary; to adorn; to beautify; to embellish
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To distinguish; grace; honor.
- To deck with something becoming or ornamental; adorn; beautify; embellish: as, to decorate the person; to decorate an edifice.
- To confer distinction upon by means of a badge or medal of honor: as, to decorate an artist with the cross of the Legion of Honor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. award a mark of honor, such as a medal, to
- v. make more attractive by adding ornament, colour, etc.
- v. provide with decoration
- v. be beautiful to look at
The Putz -- a German word for "decorate" -- tells the story of the birth of Christ in a more elaborate way than the typical nativity scene.
The traditional way to decorate is to sprinkle powdered sugar on the top, with a cutout of a cross or a shell, to symbolize St. James, on top.
Man, now I want to redecorate the Civic also known as decorate it in the first place.
State puts a schoolmaster into a schoolhouse, without adequate payment for himself, without adequate provision either for building or the upkeep of building; it bids him to keep it clean, but pays no servant to wash or sweep; and, while enjoining the absence of dirt, it checks and hampers that desire to decorate, which is the positive side of order and taste.
Flowers, stars, and titles decorate our family's May altar.
For dining rooms, the easiest (and fastest) way to decorate is to get a set.
Williams High School students might "decorate" it as a graduation prank.
In our book we sing the praises of Anthropologie as THE place to go for a girl to 'decorate' herself and her home.
Isn't God wonderful to equip little birds with the desire to "decorate" their nests?
The songs are used both to "decorate" the story and to advance its plot.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.