from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To improve in appearance or stylishness; spruce up.
- transitive v. To make quicker: smarten the pace.
- intransitive v. To make oneself smart or smarter.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To make smarter in appearance; to refurbish or spruce up
- v. To increase speed
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To make smart or spruce; -- usually with up.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make smart or spruce; render brisk, bright, or lively: often with up.
- To smart; be pained.
Sorry, no etymologies found.