from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To give strength, courage, or hope to; encourage. See Synonyms at encourage.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To give heart to; to encourage, urge on, cheer, give confidence to.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To encourage; to animate; to incite or stimulate the courage of; to embolden.
- transitive v. To restore fertility or strength to, as to land.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To give heart or courage to; incite or stimulate the courage of; encourage; animate.
- To impart strength or fertility to; reinforce: as, to hearten land.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. give encouragement to
There was more to hearten them when they cut the visitors' aggregate lead to 3-2.
Ehrlich's energetic performance is likely to hearten his supporters, but O'Malley didn't appear to stumble, using the debate to detail his administration's accomplishments, chip away at his opponent's credibility and appeal to the Washington area's interests.
Still, his remarks seemed to hearten and surprise U.S. officials, coming during an elaborate visit that centered on boosting trade and trust between the world's two largest economies.
Well, here's a funny thing, or at least something that will hearten Tollefson: The stats aren't quite as bereft as Tuck thinks they are.
He tried to define McDonnell, which he should have, but also failed to do enough to hearten African-Americans and progressives (and the former are not entirely a subset of the latter).
Such reports hearten rebel leaders who hope a weakened security apparatus and frustrated populace will hasten the regime's collapse.
Today's events should hearten those struggling for greater freedom and respect for human rights in our own Hemisphere.
What should hearten prospective deal makers is how the stock market has reacted to the transactions: It has loved them.
Further to hearten him, he was taken by a shivering fit.
But as Donovan carved at the table, a plot was unfolding inside Germany that would later hearten the OSS director.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.