from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To give strength, courage, or hope to; encourage. See Synonyms at encourage.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To give heart to; to encourage, urge on, cheer, give confidence to.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To encourage; to animate; to incite or stimulate the courage of; to embolden.
- transitive v. To restore fertility or strength to, as to land.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To give heart or courage to; incite or stimulate the courage of; encourage; animate.
- To impart strength or fertility to; reinforce: as, to hearten land.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. give encouragement to
heart + -en (Wiktionary)