American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To make lively or spirited; animate.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To give life, action, or motion to; make vigorous or active; vivify; quicken.
- To give spirit or vivacity to; animate; make sprightly, gay, or cheerful.
- Synonyms To exhilarate, cheer, inspirit, gladden, invigorate, rouse, wake up.
- v. obsolete, transitive To give life or spirit to; to revive or animate.
- v. transitive To make more lively, cheerful or interesting.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To give life, action, or motion to; to make vigorous or active; to excite; to quicken.
- v. To give spirit or vivacity to; to make sprightly, gay, or cheerful; to animate
- v. heighten or intensify
- v. make lively
- Life + en- -en, intensifying verbal circumfix. (Wiktionary)
“Even the studious turn of Eugenia, hitherto his first delight, he now thought served but to render her unsociable and the time she devoted to study, he began to regret as lost to himself; nor could he suggest any possible consolation for his drooping spirits, till it occurred to him that Camilla might again enliven him.”
“It doesn't "enliven" the literary debate, it only debases it.”
“New harvests rife to glad th 'enliven'd (_g_) lawn.”
“Certain yoga poses are aimed to "enliven" specific organs in the body, Kendall explained.”
“It's all part of the Metrotech Business Improvement District's campaign to "enliven" the construction sites, much like the art pieces that fill the abandoned, unused storefronts on Willoughby Street near Duffield and Gold streets”
“One of those ideas was to "enliven" the parks and create ways for the community to come together during the wintertime.”
“The filver flood that in meanders led His glittering ilreams along th 'enliven'd mead;”
“Additionally, reopening the park will help enliven what can and should be a more pedestrian-friendly intersection than it is now.”
“There is no soul to illuminate and no spirit to enliven -- just dead, decadent flesh.”
“There is no soul to illuminate and no spirit to enliven—just dead, decadent flesh.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘enliven’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Words I like to use, words I like but may forget.
...or otherwise early Germanic.
Verbs constructed with the -en suffix.
a inquiry about conviviality
Latin for a banquet or a feast:
a study of liminal space,thresholds,symposiums, ethnos, and the pursuit of the horizon of "we."
Looking for tweets for enliven.