from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An article of clothing.
- transitive v. To clothe; dress.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A single item of clothing.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any article of clothing, as a coat, a gown, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An article of clothing, as a coat, a gown, etc.; anything which serves for clothing; a vestment.
- n. Eccles., the chasuble or casula (especially the large early chasuble), as being the largest and most important of the ecclesiastical vestments.
- To clothe or cover with or as if with a garment or garments: chiefly used in the past participle.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an article of clothing
- v. provide with clothes or put clothes on
Middle English, from Old French garnement, from garnir, to equip, of Germanic origin; see wer-4 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old French garnement, guarnement, from garnir ("to garnish, adorn, fortify"), from Frankish. (Wiktionary)