from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Clothing; garments.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Clothing, garments, dress, material.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Clothing in general; vesture; garments; -- usually singular in form, with a collective sense.
- n. An article of dress.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That in which one is arrayed or clad; clothing; vesture; formerly sometimes, in the plural, garments.
- n. Synonyms Clothes, dress, attire, habiliments, garb, costume, array. These words are all in current use, while raiment and vesture have a poetic or antique sound.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. especially fine or decorative clothing
- v. provide with clothes or put clothes on
Middle English, short for araiment, from Old French areement, array, from areer, arrayer, to array; see array.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Aphetized from array + -ment. (Wiktionary)