American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To insert into or provide with a sheath.
- v. To retract (a claw) into a sheath.
- v. To enclose with a protective covering; encase.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To put into a sheath or scabbard; inclose in or cover with or as with a sheath or case: as, to sheathe a sword or dagger.
- To protect by a casing or covering; cover over or incase, as with armor, boards, iron, sheets of copper, or the like.
- To cover up or hide.
- To render less sharp or keen; mask; dull.
- v. To put something, such as a knife, into a sheath
- v. To encase something with a protective covering
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To put into a sheath, case, or scabbard; to inclose or cover with, or as with, a sheath or case.
- v. To fit or furnish, as with a sheath.
- v. To case or cover with something which protects, as thin boards, sheets of metal, and the like.
- v. rare To obtund or blunt, as acrimonious substances, or sharp particles.
- v. plunge or bury (a knife or sword) in flesh
- v. cover with a protective sheathing
- v. enclose with a sheath
- Middle English schethen, from schethe, sheath; see sheath. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“He slipped the sword sheathe back into his sash and took out the gun.”
“Her small hand seized the end of his sword sheathe, checking him.”
“Caris slipped his sword sheathe from its sash, holding it loosely in his left hand, his right held ready at his side.”
“My footclaws sheathe in and slide out over and over again as I think.”
“A fantastic result would be for Rand to sheathe the sword to take out Jaime, and both end up dead on the battlefield.”
“A guttural sound broke from his chest when he felt her sheathe tugging him deeper, its slick clench undeniable.”
“That way, Paul, Araucaria and their cohorts will sheathe their claws and go back to being pussycats!”
“A tall slender woman in a dove gray one-shouldered sheathe dress stood up from a table in the house.”
“In an era of technological advances, it would seem engineers could design a keyboard resistant to the detritus that begins to collect between keys, that unholy sheathe of dust and dead skin particles collecting at the base of my “P.””
“Is he entitled to a warning that the sword with which he has been playing, and is about to unsuccessfully attempt to sheathe, might be sharp?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sheathe’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
A Russian Doll word is a word that, when you remove the first and last letters, is either the empty string, or a Russian Doll word. These are all of the 6 or more letter Russian Doll words found in...
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Key words from "The Training of a Public Speaker" by Grenville Kleiser (New York and London, 1920)
For those who wish no words were ever forgotten
Looking for tweets for sheathe.