American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A metal coating bonded onto another metal under high pressure and temperature.
- n. The process of forming such a coating.
- n. A protective or insulating layer fixed to the outside of a building or another structure.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Clothing; clothes.
- n. rare Clothing; clothes.
- n. Any hard coating, bonded onto the outside of something to add protection, such as the plastic sheath around an optical fiber.
- n. construction a weatherproof, insulating or decorative covering fixed to the outside of a building (called siding in the US).
- v. present participle of clad.
- n. a protective covering that protects the outside of a building
- From clad + -ing. Compare clothing, ultimately from the same source. (Wiktionary)
- Earlier, clothing, possibly from clad2. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“A fifty-pound chunk of steel was missing from the reactor, and the only thing holding the coolant in was the stainless cladding, which is paperthin, and which bulged out the hole like bubblegum.”
“That contrasts with a meltdown of the cladding, which is destroyed at temperatures above 1,200 degrees Celsius and releases radioactive isotopes into the containment building.”
“So their driver, who is non-Amish and carries a cell phone, called the cladding company.”
“Consists of a very thin glass core surrounded by a material of slightly lower refractive index called cladding”
“Several people then suggested the idea of cladding the fibre.”
“The cladding is a fibre-reinforced polymer, or a FRP, and has a finish similar to that of a car.”
“We are confident of the growth potential for dimensional granite," which is used mainly in construction-related industries such as cladding and flooring materials, Mycom said in a statement.”
“The internal wall materials are exactly the same from inside to out bar the outer material (air insulation gap/external cladding which is fixed to the blockwork).”
“Our spies also indicate that some of these prototypes were sporting some interior cladding, meaning that a slightly revised dash and instrument cluster could be on tap for 2011.”
“So now there is even worse looking red-painted MDF as the 'cladding' in many areas.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘cladding’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Looking for tweets for cladding.