from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The loose back part of a coat that hangs below the waist.
- n. The skirts of a formal or dress coat.
- idiom on the coattails of As a result of the success of another: elected to office on the coattails of a popular governor.
- idiom on the coattails of Immediately following or as a direct result of: resigned on the coattails of the scandal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The flap at the back of a coat that hangs down, sometimes below the waist.
- n. Success of a figure, organization or movement that transfers to those who associate with it.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the loose back flap of a coat that hangs below the waist.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the loose back flap of a coat that hangs below the waist
coat + tail (Wiktionary)