from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The part of a shirt that extends below the waist, especially in the back.
- n. A brief addition at the end of a newspaper article.
- adj. Very young: shirttail kids.
- adj. Of little value; inadequate or small: a shirttail cabin in the woods.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The single or split (then rather plural) bottom part of a shirt, below the waist, especially in the back, which, when not tucked into trousers or other vestment, hangs over the wearer's tail-end, like a tail.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a brief addendum at the end of a newspaper article
- n. fabric forming the tail of a shirt
Jordan's shorts aren't worn so low that they look like they are falling off as is the fashion of the day, and his shirttail is always neatly tucked in.
WEINER: Oh, a shirttail is a little additional story of three paragraphs or so at the end of a larger newspaper story.
Chas's grandpa and mine were some kind of shirttail second cousins with at least one "removed" in there somewhere.
And on Wednesday, a ragged six-foot-tall guy in shorts with his shirttail out—Sacca—would go to some double-wide trailer where the development people worked.
Mike Stone/Reuters Mavericks owner Mark Cuban polished the championship trophy with his shirttail.
For example, I did a dish of shirttail grouse with farro, sunflower seeds, malt vinegar, vetch flowers and a rose hip glaze -- the grouse we'd shot had been gorging on vetch and rose hips, so it seemed appropriate.
Then he dropped down, tucked his shirttail, and sat back in his chair.
Planned grosgrain ribbon inside the hem made the "tennis tail"—a longer back shirttail for easy tucking—curl up.
When Maddy Cohan reached him, she noticed his hand trembling as he wiped his glasses with his shirttail.
Her shirttail, usually tucked in neatly, billowed out from beneath her short jacket.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.