from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Decreasing in stages: a step-down gear.
- adj. Electricity Serving to reduce voltage: a step-down transformer.
- n. A reduction in amount or size.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. That decreases in stages
- adj. That reduces a voltage
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Transforming or converting a current of high potential or voltage into one of low voltage.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In electricity, a transformer or other device for lowering the potential in an electric circuit.
- Serving to convert a current of higher voltage into one of lower voltage: said specifically of transformers and allied devices.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. give up or retire from a position
- v. reduce the level or intensity or size or scope of
- n. the act of decreasing or reducing something
Sorry, no etymologies found.