American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To make smaller or less significant; reduce.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make little or less; make small or smaller; lessen; diminish.
- To make of less value or importance; treat as of slight worth; slight; depreciate.
- In both senses opposed to magnify.
- v. To reduce in size
- v. To reduce in apparent size, as for example objects viewed through a lens or mirror shaped so as to increase the field of view, such as a convex or aspheric mirror or a Fresnel lens
- v. computing To remove white space and unnecessary characters from a web page in order to reduce its size and improve download time
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To make small, or smaller; to diminish the apparent dimensions of; to lessen.
- v. To degrade by speech or action.
- v. make smaller
- min(imum) + (magn)ify. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“* Fixed minify bug with rewriting of url URI in CSS”
“* Added options to specify minify group policies per template”
“* Added additional file download fallback methods for minify”
“* Added options for toggling inline CSS and JS minification to improve minify reliability”
“This doesn't quite solve the problem of online piracy--or much else--though offering legal, properly policed alternatives can sometimes minify wrongdoing.”
“I here hesitate before a little adventure which I would not make too much of nor yet minify: it seems to me so gentle and winning.”
“Why does the world minify our intelligence by depreciating our favorite article of diet, and express the ultimate extreme of mental pauperism by saying of him on whose intellect they would heap contempt, "He doesn't know beans"?”
“Disposition has also its concave and convex lenses, which magnify some things and minify others.”
“Local caste, prejudice, interest, and bias warp us and minify our usefulness.”
“We do not question nor minify their great duty and destiny in America.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘minify’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
// god mandated attempt to realign with the timeless forces of the universe via remastered locution //
These are lexical items new to me that I've discovered in actual use (i.e. not in dictionaries, lists, or this site).
Looking back over this list, I haven't the slightest idea what mos...
My fancies, my cudgels.
Better alternatives for common words.
words intriguing to me
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
Words meaning decrease or reduce
words i need to use
Looking for tweets for minify.