from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Increasing in steps or by stages.
- adj. Electricity Serving to increase voltage: a step-up transformer.
- n. An increase in size, amount, or activity.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. That increases in stages
- adj. That increases a voltage
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Transforming or converting a low-voltage current into one of high voltage.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In electricity, a transformer or other device for increasing the voltage in an electric circuit.
- Serving to convert a current of lower voltage into one of higher voltage: said specifically of transformers and allied devices.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of increasing something
- v. speed up
- v. make oneself visible; take action
- v. increase in extent or intensity
Sorry, no etymologies found.
And American Range has a "step-up" feature for its 24 -, 30 - and 36-inch ranges: The back burners are elevated for easier access.
Not surprisingly, this series doesn't include any step-up features, including either Smart TV or Smart Hub.
(Comment: I think this solution is undercut because people forget source more easily than they forget content, causing them to step-up the credibility of anonymous allegations over time.) (6) Note the growth of cases against nonmedia defendants.
I'm this point I'm wondering where the next plot step-up is.
But it is Russia and China that are primarily behind the scare-tactic threatening that consensus over Iran would vanish, should the Western countries step-up their pressures on Tehran.
I think that the House and Senate need to step-up as well. patSuffolkNY
He might step-up and call upon those that voted for him soon.
It was just this unbelievable step-up in terms of the amount of work that we had to do and the number of EVAs," said NASA Space Station Flight Director Derek Hassmann."
The step-up GT30 3D plasma series, which replaces last year's GT25 models, will be available in screen sizes ranging from 50 to 65 inches.
Mr. Obama is using a speech tomorrow during his stopover in Australia, America's most consistent ally in the post-WWII period, to announce a phased-in increase in America's permanent military presence in Australia, a step-up in joint exercises with Australian naval forces, and increased access of U.S. naval vessels and aircraft to the port at Darwin, which is beyond the reach of Chinese missiles.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.