from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Increasing in steps or by stages.
- adj. Electricity Serving to increase voltage: a step-up transformer.
- n. An increase in size, amount, or activity.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. That increases in stages
- adj. That increases a voltage
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Transforming or converting a low-voltage current into one of high voltage.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In electricity, a transformer or other device for increasing the voltage in an electric circuit.
- Serving to convert a current of lower voltage into one of higher voltage: said specifically of transformers and allied devices.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. speed up
- v. make oneself visible; take action
- v. increase in extent or intensity
- n. the act of increasing something
Sorry, no etymologies found.