from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the act of alleviating; relief or mitigation
- n. the act of reducing pain or anything else unpleasant; easement
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of alleviating; a lightening of weight or severity; mitigation; relief.
- n. That which mitigates, or makes more tolerable.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of alleviating, The act of removing in part, lessening, mitigating, or making easier to be endured: as, the alleviation of taxes. The act of making less by representation; extenuation: as, “alleviations of faults.” South.
- n. That which lessens, mitigates, or makes more tolerable: as, the sympathy of a friend is an alleviation of grief.
- n. Synonyms Mitigation, palliation, relief.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the feeling that comes when something burdensome is removed or reduced
- n. the act of reducing something unpleasant (as pain or annoyance)
Sorry, no etymologies found.