from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of lighten.
- n. The sensation caused by the descent of the uterus into the pelvic cavity before the onset of labour
- n. The removal of cargo (especially crude oil) from a vessel in order to reduce its draft
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The process of changing to a lighter color.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A becoming light; the break of day. See lightning, 1.
- n. See lightning, 2.
- n. A brightening up, as of the mind or spirit.
- n. In metallurgy, the sudden brightening of the color of silver during cupellation when the metal reaches the point of greatest purity.
- n. The act or fact of becoming or making light or less heavy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. changing to a lighter color
- n. descent of the uterus into the pelvic cavity that occurs late in pregnancy; the fetus is said to have dropped
Sorry, no etymologies found.