American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The capacity built into a mechanical or electrical device to prevent excessive correction and the resulting instability or oscillatory conditions.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In bleaching, a process by which a certain amount of moisture is added to a fabric after starching, to prepare it for finishing.
- n. The process or method of retarding or stopping the action of a vibrating or oscillating body, as a magnetic needle. See damp, v. t., 7.
- n. The stopping of the tendency to surge or hunt, in synchronous machines, as alternating-current generators or synchronous motors or converters, by means of closed low-resistance copper turns inserted in the pole-faces of the magnetic field. See amortisseur.
- n. Premature decay in plants, especially young seedlings, attributed to excessive moisture. See damp, 6.
“The machine turns on a dime and the suspension damping is absolutely stellar.”
“You don't have to figure out which brands will do better than the other or pay any attention to recalls damping sales of one brand to the benefit of another.”
“Dampening: Also called damping, I described this as "the softening of a user interface through gradual transition instead of immediate state changes".”
“The latter describes the system damping, which is due to the viscosity of the surrounding gas, the re-radiation of sound and structural damping in the fork material.”
“It's estimated that at the end of the current funding cycle next year the police authority will have lost more than £55million altogether due to damping, which is a system which means money is taken from some police authorities to ensure all areas receive a minimum funding grant increase.”
“We have a very sensible 'damping' scheme at the moment. or has it just ended?”
“A 'damping' mechanism is always sensible when there is big movement for any reason.”
“Actually, usage supports both "damping" and "dampening" for this scenario, but I'll take the feedback under advisement.”
“OK I need to take out the fake "damping" I dialed in to my bike, it's a little TOO stable and it's quite hard to turn at medium speed!!”
“Planting in a nursery also reduces risk of loss due to disease such as damping off.”
‘damping’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for damping.