from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state of being lighted; illumination.
- n. The method or equipment used to provide artificial illumination.
- n. The illumination so provided.
- n. The act or process of igniting.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the equipment used to provide illumination; the illumination so provided
- n. the act of activating such equipment, or of igniting a flame etc.
- n. The process of annealing metals.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A name sometimes applied to the process of annealing metals.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of making light or becoming light. See light, transitive verb
- n. The act of igniting or illuminating: as, the lighting of a fire; street-lighting.
- n. In metal-working, same as annealing.
- n. The act of making or becoming light or less heavy. See light, transitive verb
- n. The act of alighting, as from flight.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of setting something on fire
- n. apparatus for supplying artificial light effects for the stage or a film
- n. the craft of providing artificial light
- n. having abundant light or illumination
See light (Wiktionary)