from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Causing a stinging sensation; nipping: biting cold.
- adj. Capable of gripping and affecting or wounding; cutting: a biting aphorism. See Synonyms at incisive.
- adj. Of or relating to insects and certain other animals that wound the skin with a sting, mouthparts, or fangs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of bite.
- n. The action of the verb to bite.
- n. An occurrence of a bite.
- adj. Causing a stinging sensation.
- adj. Cutting or incisive.
- adj. Tending to bite.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. That bites; sharp; cutting; sarcastic; caustic.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Nipping; keen: as, biting cold; biting weather.
- Severe; sharp; bitter; painful: as, a “biting affliction,”
- Acrid; hot; pungent: as, a biting taste.
- Hence Sharp; severe; cutting; sarcastic: as, a biting remark.
- n. The action of cutting, piercing, etc., in any sense of bite.
- n. The corroding action of a mordant upon a metal plate, wherever the lines of a design, drawn upon a prepared ground, have been laid bare with a needle, as in etching, or the surface is alternately stopped out and exposed, as in aquatint.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. causing a sharply painful or stinging sensation; used especially of cold
- adj. capable of wounding
Sorry, no etymologies found.
That beverage is described by the Franciscan, who was sent by St. Louis, as what he calls biting, and leaving a taste like almond milk on the palate; though Elphinstone, on the contrary writing in this century, says "it is of a whitish colour and a sourish taste."
Kid probably decided he wanted to show off, or believed that biting is the new way to get girls.
"I completely learned my lesson in biting off more than I could chew," she says.
Never tried it my self, but anything that keeps them from biting is ok with me.
So that's been crucial in biting into Serra's one-time lead.
No, I was born half man half lobster so nail biting is an absolute delight.
You never pull out those crayfish too early, you save them for when the biting is just right.
But all of the nail biting is forgotten as Brazil has rolled through the tournament unbeaten, with major victories coming against Belgium and England.
She added, after a brief pause: "Should you call a biting lecture on one's shortcomings from a strange man no injury?"
He remembered from the Magnet Stories how to make the leeches begin biting – the girl did it with cream – but he could not remember how to stop them, and they had not wanted any showing how to begin.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.