from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To vex or annoy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Embittered; having a sour disposition or nature.
- v. To exasperate; to irritate.
- v. To make bitter or sour.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To sour; to imbitter; to irritate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make sour, bitter, or harsh to the taste; hence, to embitter or exasperate.
- Embittered; exasperated; severe.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. cause to be bitter or resentful
- v. make sour or bitter
Latin acerbāre, acerbāt-, to make harsh, from acerbus, harsh; see acerbic.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin acerbātus, perfect passive participle of acerbō ("make bitter"), from acerbus ("bitter"). (Wiktionary)