from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Variant of acerbic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Sour, bitter, and harsh to the taste, as unripe fruit.
- adj. Sharp and harsh in expressing oneself.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Sour, bitter, and harsh to the taste, as unripe fruit; sharp and harsh.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Sour, bitter, and harsh to the taste; sour, with astringency or roughness; hence, figuratively, sharp, harsh, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. harsh or corrosive in tone
- adj. sour or bitter in taste
Latin acerbus, from acer sharp: compare French acerbe. See acrid (Wiktionary)