from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Intensely painful; agonizing.
- adj. Very intense or extreme: wrote with excruciating precision.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Causing great pain or anguish, agonizing
- adj. Exceedingly intense; extreme
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- Torturing; racking.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Extremely painful; torturing; tormenting.
- Extremely precise or elaborate; extreme: as, excruciating politeness.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. extremely painful
Present participle of excruciate, from Latin excruciātus, past participle of excruciō, from ex- + cruciō "I torment". (Wiktionary)