from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Marked by great or violent haste: in a tearing hurry.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of tear.
- adj. very hasty
- n. The act by which something is torn; a laceration.
- n. Distortion of an animated display when the contents of the framebuffer are rendered while it contains portions of two or more frames.
- n. continuous shedding of tears; epiphora
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Great; rushing; tremendous; towering; ranting: as, a tearing passion; at a tearing pace. Also used adverbially.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. marked by extreme intensity of emotions or convictions; inclined to react violently; fervid
- n. shedding tears
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The Bush administration began their term tearing down the budget surplus the Clinton administration had achieved and talking the nation into a recession.
"That is what I call tearing the marrow out of a body's bones," said
I will share some of those photos once I actually begin tearing apart the room a bit.
I look forward to the crushing array of lawsuits that bury the project and predict that they launch literally the day we begin tearing down the viaduct.
Screen-tearing is an issue for many Nvidia users on Ubuntu.
In one movie he breathed his signature bad breath to destroy what remained of Tokyo after appearing to fight a monster even more bent in tearing the city apart as a joke to consistent fans about his inconsistencies.
He delights in tearing Guy (Whaley) down every chance he gets, only to turn around and raise his hopes again with the promise of better things.
It's ironic, the political groups who claim to cherish family values are themselves engaged in tearing other families apart.
The media turned Tiger into a god of golf and now they're taking delight in tearing him down.
Einstein tearing down the reigning paradigm of Newtonian physics.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.