American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Perceived as bright and distinct; brilliant: a vivid star.
- adj. Having intensely bright colors: a vivid tapestry.
- adj. Having a very high degree of saturation: a vivid purple.
- adj. Presented in clear and striking manner: a vivid account of the incident. See Synonyms at graphic.
- adj. Perceived or felt with the freshness of immediate experience: a vivid recollection of their childhood.
- adj. Active in forming lifelike images: a vivid imagination.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Exhibiting the appearance of life or freshness; animated; bright; clear; lively; fresh; strong; intense: as, the vivid colors of the rainbow; the vivid green of flourishing vegetables.
- Producing a distinct and strong impression on the mind; presented to the mind with exceptional clearness and force; of a mental faculty. having a clear and vigorous action.
- Synonyms Lucid, striking, lustrous, luminous, vigorous.
- n. New Zealand A felt-tipped permanent marker.
- adj. clear, detailed or powerful
- adj. of an image bright, intense or colourful
- adj. full of life, strikingly alive
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. True to the life; exhibiting the appearance of life or freshness; animated; spirited; bright; strong; intense.
- adj. Forming brilliant images, or painting in lively colors; lively; sprightly.
- adj. having the clarity and freshness of immediate experience
- adj. having striking color
- adj. evoking lifelike images within the mind
- adj. (of color) having the highest saturation
- From Latin vividus ("animated, spirited"), from vivere ("to live"), akin to vita ("life"), Greek βίος (bios, "life"). (Wiktionary)
- Latin vīvidus, from vīvere, to live. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The word "vivid" also describes the posters' graphic images and messages.”
“Mr. Roam's solution, which he calls vivid thinking, involves adding visuals.”
“A wonderful economy of words and yet you stroked the canvas in vivid colors.”
“You bring to life in vivid detail an aspect of WWII that we haven't heard a lot about: the frenzied evacuation of the Germans as the Eastern front crumbled and the Russians advanced.”
“Google earth presents complex information in vivid ways that are easy to comprehend.”
“Joel Johnson details in vivid detail the sexual molestation he was a victim of.”
“The documents sketch, in vivid detail, a critical change in the way America wages war: the early days of the Iraq war, with all its Wild West chaos, ushered in the era of the private contractor, wearing no uniform but fighting and dying in battle, gathering and disseminating intelligence and killing presumed insurgents," the paper said.”
“Facial expressions certainly offer clues to who we are, but clothes tell the rest of the nonverbal story in vivid color, strident patterns or conservative silhouettes.”
“While so many of the young people we met will always be vivid memories, two images remain vivid and powerful.”
“She denied ever entering a union with him, but said she remembered the sexual abuse in vivid detail.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘vivid’.
A list of words which yield surprising, beautiful, amusing, or otherwise noteworthy images here on Wordnik.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Music brings silence's to raging thoughts and temperament , calm, as it is our object of definite purpose.
random gangster lingo and street slang with extra absurdities.
( open list, randomness )
Loved for their ingenuity, an exact description, or simply for the pure joy of it.
Interesting, there is a traditional vocabulary of an Ukrainian, that differs from vocabulary of average American. It would be nice to explore it.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
every major discipline has uniquely developed esoteric nomenclature to facilitate interdisciplinary dissemination
( open list, visual, light, descriptive )
sparkle, shine, gleam, glisten, shimmer, gloss, pearly, opalescent, iridescent, prismatic, multifaceted, glow and 35 more...
Verbs and adjectives (mostly adjectives) pertaining to physical light, brightness and/or clarity.
Looking for tweets for vivid.