American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Having or demonstrating enthusiasm.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Filled with or characterized by enthusiasm, or the conceit of special intercourse with God, or of direct revelations or instructions from him.
- Prone to enthusiasm; zealous or devoted; passionate in devotion to a belief or a principle, or the pursuit of an object: as, an enthusiastic reformer.
- Elevated; ardent; inspired by or glowing with enthusiasm: as, the speaker addressed the audience in enthusiastic strains.
- Synonyms Enthusiastic, Fanatical; eager, zealous, devoted, fervent, passionate, glowing; heated, inflamed, visionary. Enthusiastic is most frequently used with regard to a person whose sympathies or feelings are warmly engaged in favor of any cause or pursuit, and who is full of hope and ardent zeal; while fanatical is generally said of a person who has fantastic and extravagant views on religious or moral subjects, or some similarly absorbing topic. See superstition.
- n. An enthusiast.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Filled with enthusiasm; characterized by enthusiasm; zealous.
- n. obsolete An enthusiast; a zealot.
- adj. having or showing great excitement and interest
“He was shorthanded, and anyone who has ever had 14 girls herded onto one softball field knows the meaning of the term enthusiastic confusion.”
“We heard testimony from most of the volunteers who actually operate the station and serve as DJs, and they were nearly all in enthusiastic support.”
“He laughs about his earthquake phobia, turns glum when reflecting on a domineering father and gives weight to theories of his eternal boyhood in enthusiastic chatter about toys and theme parks.”
“A character," "very enthusiastic" is how veterinarians described him on their new-patient sheets whenever we moved and introduced a new care provider to the Buckness of Buck.”
“But most enthusiastic is Christopher Long, writing for DVD Beaver: "I'm so excited to see Muriel made available on a Region 1 DVD that I hate to point out the flaws in the transfer.”
“Manasi of A Cook At Heart writes a hilarious account of the tradition of "fasting" and makes a "fast food" that is the secret reason why so many Maharashtrians remain enthusiastic about undertaking fasts: Sabudana Khichadi.”
“McKean and other professional word gatherers join enthusiastic amateurs in Wallraff's new book Word Fugitives, which reassures us that taking language seriously needn't always mean being serious about language.”
“All three of us - me, my wife, and the writers - can remain enthusiastic fans because none of us can disprove the others.”
“He spoke in enthusiastic terms of the splendid work Canadians -- had done in the battle line and said that in the two most crucial engagements of the war Canadians had saved the day and that under the most trying circumstances, and against weapons never before used in warfare.”
“The people felt that a good man was indeed their leader; and in enthusiastic crowds they thronged his way, content even with a word, and invoking the blessing of God upon him.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘enthusiastic’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
words that describe me or that i am focusing on.
( personal list )
Words I`d like to remember
I've been holding off, but the name was irrelistable.
Looking for tweets for enthusiastic.